Friday, April 22, 2011

Holiday in Cape Town :-)

Well I am back in Malawi now...I am sitting writing this at African Bible College where I will be staying tonight...tomorrow I take a bus back to the village and start preparing for the last term of school to start on Tuesday...please be praying for my readjustment back to the village!

Cape Town was amazing! Even though I was there for 11 full days there is still so much I feel like I didn't see! There is just so much to do! But I had a blast! I am not going to write much but rather share some pictures with you of my adventures...I will say though the best part of the entire trip was continuing to see how God provided for me in so many little ways...a warm welcoming home visit with Felicity and Peter Murray, people to talk to about Cape Town to help guide me, protection as I navigated around the city alone (there was specifically one woman who helped me navigate the train station warning me that my stop was one of the more dangerous areas of town...I had had no idea!), delicious fresh food and a little refrigerator near my room so I could store some and save money, and the opportunity to visit a new part of the world and see, experience, and soak up the beauty of His creation!!! :-)


On top of a mountain overlooking the winelands area...the big smoke cloud is from a huge fire that attacked some vineyards

The beach at Bloubergstrand

The most photographed view of Table Mountain from Bloubergstrand...picture courtesy of Felicity Murray (the mother and grandmother to a family I know from my home church in Pgh who welcomed me so graciously into her home for a few days while in Cape Town!!!)  :-)

St. George's Cathedral decorated for Palm Sunday and Easter...during apartheid this was one of the few churches to publically proclaim that all people were welcome no matter their color 
Whale Bones at the South African Museum

At the Castle of Good Hope

Tea at the Mount Nelson Hotel...they actually had cubed sugar!

All the delicious goodies set out for high tea :-)

Zebra Skin a man was selling on the side of the rode!
Me and the woman I sat next to on the airplane to Cape Town...we talked the entire 2hrs on the plane!...She went through my guide book with me giving me all kinds of suggestions of places to go and things to see...later on during my time there she offered to take me around to see things that I hadn't managed to get to on my own yet! So sweet!!!

From the top of Table Mountain...1067 meters up!

Touching the top of Lions Head

On top of Table Mountain

The timing worked out perfectly so we got to watch the sunset from the top of Table Mountain!!! SO BEAUTIFUL!
Zevewacht in Stellenbosch...the first vineyard our tour visited in the Winelands

My first wine tasting :-)

A beautiful little church in Stellenbosch

Seidelberg in Paarl...the second vineyard we visited
Seidelberg
Seidelberg
Some grapes (almost raisins) on the vine at Seidelberg
Hout Bay...on the boat heading out to see the seals

So many!!

I am amazed this one came out so clearly b/c the wind was blowing so hard and the waves were HUGE...all I could think about was the movie "The Perfect Storm" and pray that God wouldn't let the boat tip over!! haha

Overlooking Hout Bay on Chapmans Drive

About to climb to the top of Cape Point!

Near the top overlooking the Cape of Good Hope

Ostrich!!! Oh my!

The Penguins at Simons Town...check out the cute twin baby penguins :-)

Simons Town

Kirstenbosch Botanical Gardens

The Old Biscuit Mill...a must see for anyone thinking of visiting Cape Town...its a hidden treasure!

(See my Facebook for even more pictures)

2 comments:

  1. I'm so happy that you've had a wonderful vacation, Stephanie! I will be praying for you during your final months in Dzuwa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I LOVE YOUR PICTURES! Who did you watch the sunset with?

    My favorites are:
    -the botanical garden shot! Wow, that reminds me of Narnia in the spring.
    -Overlooking the Cape of Good Hope, that reminds me of where we had the bridal picnic overlooking the ocean in Maine!
    -the church in Stellenbosch
    -touching the top of Lion's Head! haha, who's idea was that?
    -St. George's Cathedral! What an amazing photograph. It looks beautiful for Palm Sunday, and so much history.
    and my very favorite: the zebra skin shot! cuz you look so cute and amazed!

    miss you. what do you think of wine?

    ReplyDelete